Prepping Your Pins For Summer While On Lockdown
Lockdown or not, the weather is warming up and you’re getting more confident to show off a little more skin than you have the last few months. But as you dig through your wardrobe to find those short shorts and bikini’s you’re suddenly filled with dread. Under your clothes, you resemble a beautiful yeti and you’ve got some work to do to prep your body for summer.
The good news is that most other women all over the world are in exactly the same position. The bad news is that for those of you who have relied in the past on a beauty therapist to wax off your winter coat, you’re going to have to go it alone this time.
But don’t worry, whether you’re a shaver, waxer or dabble in hair removal cream, we’ve got your back and have some top tips to help you prep your pins for a silky smooth summer.
Choose your weapon
How you choose to de-fuzz will impact the overall result and it’s important to choose the method that best suits your purposes and lifestyle.
- Shaving – for this, you’ll need a good quality razor, running water and some shaving foam (or use conditioner for super smooth silky legs)
- Waxing – there are plenty of home waxing kits available that you can buy online and come in packs of pre-waxed strips. Buy these instead of pots of wax and make sure you have the balls to pull!
- Hair removal cream – all you need is a tube of hair removal cream which will come with a curved, razor shaped spatula to scrape off the cream once your time is up
Deciding which route is best
What works for you may not work for your bestie, so consider the pros and cons of each method before deciding which route is best for you:
- Quick and easy
- Can be used on all areas of the body
- Great for busy women
- Hair is cut at the surface
- Need to shave every two days to keep stubble at bay
- Long lasting removal (2+ weeks)
- Can be done at home
- Remove hair at the follicle
- Hair must grow to ¼ inch long before re-waxing
- The cost can be prohibitive
- Ingrown hairs are common
- Can be painful
Hair removal cream pros
- Long lasting removal (1+ week)
- Removes hair just below the skin so no immediate stubble
Hair remove cream cons
- Can burn the skin if left on too long
- The smell of the cream lingers
Preparing to attack your body hairs is of key importance. You can’t just whip out a wax strip and expect to go out straight after and carry on with the rest of your day. Your skin needs some TLC as you yank, cut and dissolve the hairs that cover it.
Follow these tips and you’ll be good to go:
- If you’re wet shaving, give your skin time to soak in a little moisture before you put your razor to it and always use a sharp blade
- Exfoliate up to 2 days before waxing and wash your skin before applying the wax strips
- Choose the right cream for the area you’re targeting. If it says bikini on the tube, don’t use it on your upper lip and always patch test before going gung-ho.
Whatever route you choose, remember to keep your skin moisturised and healthy and you’ll be summer-ready before you know it!